|India is the second largest producer of vegetables after China. It has produced 129 Million Tons of
Vegetables year 2008-09
- Fruits and Vegetables occupy about 65% of area under cultivation
- 5% of National GDP comes from Horticulture out of overall Agricultural GDP of 18%
- The vision 2015 document released by Ministry of Food Processing in 2005 envisages trebling the size of the processed food sector by 2015.
- The important vegetable in the Indian context are - Potato, Tomato, Carrot, Brinjal, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Guards, Bhendi, Onion, Peas, Radish, Beet root, and other leafy vegetables
- With 180 Million Ha of arable land (one tenth of the world), 56 Million Ha of Irrigated land, its diverse agro climatic conditions and the thrust given by the National horticulture mission favor India to become the global food factory of the world.
- eFresh's objective -The information on India's leading position in vegetables, will facilitate the Indian farmers and other stakeholders for focusing on the increased activity in vegetables production.